The horror of the killings.
The horror of witnessing:
The horror of remembering so many others that have been killed.
And then we are just supposed to go about our day like nothing has happened?
Here are some things that I have done to try to figure out what this means for me…
- Saw my therapist (and scheduled a follow-up appointment)
- Contacted leaders in Indianapolis who may be interested in collaboratively coordinating a city response to the latest killings
- Went home and sat on my coach
- Responded to friends’ messages about how they are processing the killings
- Wrote this blog post that authentically shared what I am thinking right now
- Found a few resources/quotes from friends, mentors, and journalists that I respect
- Sang worship songs to Jesus as I drove around the city
- Selectively rewatched the videos
- Texted people that I love and am thinking about today
- Ate food that tasted good to me and wasn’t too bad for me (burger with guacamole)
So take time to do what you need to do to take care of you today.
- Choose for yourself how you do (or do not) watch the videos
- Connect with loved ones and with God
- Consider what your next steps in advocacy look like
- Create a self-care plan that meets your needs