In my academic and professional experience, I have enjoyed pursuing issues of diversity. I have compiled a short list of resources for individuals who want to know some of the key articles and organizations relevant to diversity and philanthropy. This information is only meant to be a starting point (not a comprehensive reference tool).
For a substantial list of articles on diversity and philanthropy:
- Bryan, B. (2008). Diversity in philanthropy: A comprehensive bibliography of resources related to diversity within the philanthropic and nonprofit sectors. New York, New York: Foundation Center.
- Council on Foundations. (1999). Multicultural Philanthropy.
For a general overview of cultural differences and similarities in philanthropy, fundraising, and nonprofits – across various racial/ethnic communities:
- Newman, D. S. (2002). Opening doors: Pathways to diverse donors. Council on Foundations. San Francisco, California: Jossey-Bass.
- Pettey, J. G. (2001). Cultivating diversity in fundraising. New York, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
For information on diversity in leadership – about both executive staff and volunteer board members:
- Bryson, E. & Parsons, S. (2003). What foundation boards are saying about diversity. Washington, D.C.: Council on Foundations.
- Burbridge, L. C., Diaz, W. A., Odendahl, T., & Shaw, A. (2002). The meaning and impact of board and staff diversity in the philanthropic field. Joint Affinity Group.
- Burbridge, L. C. (1995). Status of African Americans in grantmaking institutions. Indianapolis, Indiana: Center on Philanthropy.
- Chao, J., Parshal, J., Amador, D., Shah, M., and Yaňez, A. (2008). Philanthropy in a changing society: Achieving effectiveness through diversity. Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
- Council on Foundations. (2009). Career pathways to philanthropic leadership: A baseline report on executive hiring and keys to success for emerging leaders in philanthropy.
For a few more articles on issues of diversity and philanthropy:
- Austin, A. & McGill, L. T. (Eds.). (2008). Proceedings from the first annual researcher/practitioner forum: The state of research on diversity in philanthropy. Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation. (2001). Emerging philanthropy in communities of color: A report on current trends.
- WS & Associates, LLC. (2004). Engaging communities of color scanning report. Leadership in philanthropy networking conference, March 1-3, 2004.
- A list of funds (independent & affiliated) and giving circles
- Council on Foundations – Diversity & Inclusive Practices
- Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers – Ethnic, Racial, Tribal Philanthropy Knowledge Center
- Diversity in Philanthropy
- Foundation Center – Gain Knowledge
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation – Cultures of Giving
- Joint Affinity Groups