The hate crime in Orlando has been heavy on my mind and my heart. I’ve struggled to know what to say publicly, and in this post I have attempted to share my mind and my heart with you…
It feels so personal.
- I have gay friends.
- I have gay neighbors.
- I have gay colleagues and contacts.
- I have love and respect for all people, regardless of sexuality.
It feels so close.
- In Indianapolis, we just had our Pride Parade.
- Some Indiana guy brought some guns to California with malicious intent and plans.
- One of the victims of the Orlando shootings is from Indiana.
- Indiana Governor Mike Pence seems to perpetuate and advance the hate.
And, yes, it feels so hateful.
- I love this video of Broadway Star Lin-Manuel Miranda that proclaims “love is love is love…”
- But I also want to declare “hate is hate is hate…”
- I’ve advocated against hate crimes on Hanover’s campus.
- And now I am left wondering how do I advocate against THIS hate crime.
- And how do we prevent ANOTHER hate crime?