If you don’t ask, the answer is always “no.” Wouln’t “yes” be nice?
I love asking people for their advice. I even enjoying asking for favors, introductions to contacts, and a positive referral.
I like asking because often I am making the request on behalf of another person. It’s so easy when it’s not about me; it’s about somebody else!
Here are some ways that I connect with my network:
- I find out about a volunteer opportunity; I pass on the information to someone who may be interested.
- Someone tells me about a job opening; I recommend a contact.
- An individual speaks passionately about a specific social issue; I point them to the relevant nonprofits in that field.
- I think two people would benefit from knowing each other; I make an e-introduction just because.
- I’m brainstorming for a new project; I ask others for their feedback.
Are you asking, connecting, and giving to your contacts? That’s how you build a robust network! If you don’t ask, the answer is always no.
How do you cultivate and engage your network of professional contacts? Please leave a comment with a sample of your strategies!
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to my blog.