When I speak with friends and colleagues about my blog, I usually received mixed reactions. Their responses usually begin with, “Oh, I could never do that.” Then, they may express a variety of reasons:
- “I’m not a strong writer.”
- “I don’t have anything to say.”
- “I doubt it would benefit my career.”
- “I am too busy.”
- “I don’t ‘get’ social media.”
While I do recognize that a blog is not for everybody, I do think there are many people who are currently not blogging who would be GREAT! I think these individuals are missing out on some incredible opportunities.
Here’s a quick tool to see if you are ready. If you agree with a majority of the statements listed, you should strongly consider starting a blog.
- I have knowledge and experience in a particular field.
- I am intentional about my professional development and invest time in it.
- I like to try new things.
- I understand that technology is “full steam ahead.” If I don’t jump on board, I will just be left behind.
- I keep up with my field by reading publications and related news.
- I enjoy connecting with new people.
If these statements describe you, a blog may be for you! I would encourage you to begin reading more blogs – about your particular niche area and about blogging/personal branding/social media. You may also want to check out my blog post for the top 5 reasons to start a blog.